We are often asked how to cook neck pumpkins, so I thought I would include this recipe for pie. You can substitute the extra pumpkin for any other pumpkin recipes that you have that list canned pumpkin.
Author: Paulus Family
- large neck pumpkin, cooked (see instructions below)
- ¾ c sugar
- 1½ T flour
- ½ t salt
- 2 eggs
- 1½ c milk
- 1¼ t cinnamon
- ¼ t ginger
- ¼ t nutmeg
- ⅛ t ground cloves
- Cooking the Pumpkin:
- Peel and remove stringy pumpkin from the inside.
- Cut into small chunks and boil with water until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Blend in a food processor or blender.
- Freeze any leftovers in 2-cup containers.
- For Pie:
- Mix 2 cups pumpkin and the rest of the ingredients in blender until well blended.
- Brush small amount of egg white on pie crust.
- This helps to keep the crust from getting soggy.
- Pour into pie crust and bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees for additional 40 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- If using a foil pan, set it on a cookie sheet so the crust will be well done.