Zucchini Beef Bake
Author: Paulus Family
- 4 small zucchini (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ c chopped onion
- 1½ c soft bread crumbs (2 slices)
- ¾ t salt
- ¼ t dried thyme, crushed
- ⅓ t pepper
- 4 T margarine
- ¼ c all purpose flour
- ½ t salt
- 2 c milk
- 1 c chunks of Velveeta
- 1 T margarine, melted
- Wash and remove the ends of zucchini. Cut into ½ inch thick slices.
- Cook zucchini in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In skillet, cook ground beef and onion until meat is brown. Drain well.
- Stir in ½ c bread crumbs, ¾ t salt, thyme, and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- In saucepan melt the 4 T butter.
- Blend in flour and remaining ½ t salt.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Stir in meat mixture.
- Alternately layer meat and zucchini mixtures into casserole dish.
- Combine remaining bread crumbs with the 1 T melted margarine and sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.