- 1 small butternut squash, cubed
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 T chopped fresh thyme
- 2 T chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ c olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the squash, red bell peppers, sweet potato, and Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Separate the red onion quarters into pieces, and add to the mixture.
- In a small bowl, stir together thyme, rosemary, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Toss with vegetables until they are coated.
- Spread evenly on a large roasting pan.
- Roast for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring every 10 minutes, or until vegetables are cooked through and browned.
- ½ lb. bulk Italian Pork Sausage
- ½ c chopped onion
- ½ c chopped green pepper
- 1 c water
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce (or 1 cup)
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 T chopped parsley
- 2 t sugar
- 1 t garlic salt
- ½ t crushed, dried oregano
- 1 large head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- In 2 quart saucepan, cook sausage, onion, and green pepper until vegetables are tender.
- Drain off excess fat.
- Add water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, parsley, sugar, garlic salt, and oregano.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Boil cabbage wedges in a small amount of water until soft.
- Serve cabbage with meat sauce poured on top.
Zucchini Beef Bake
- 4 small zucchini (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ c chopped onion
- 1½ c soft bread crumbs (2 slices)
- ¾ t salt
- ¼ t dried thyme, crushed
- ⅓ t pepper
- 4 T margarine
- ¼ c all purpose flour
- ½ t salt
- 2 c milk
- 1 c chunks of Velveeta
- 1 T margarine, melted
- Wash and remove the ends of zucchini. Cut into ½ inch thick slices.
- Cook zucchini in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In skillet, cook ground beef and onion until meat is brown. Drain well.
- Stir in ½ c bread crumbs, ¾ t salt, thyme, and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- In saucepan melt the 4 T butter.
- Blend in flour and remaining ½ t salt.
- Add milk all at once.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Stir in meat mixture.
- Alternately layer meat and zucchini mixtures into casserole dish.
- Combine remaining bread crumbs with the 1 T melted margarine and sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
Zucchini Pickle Relish
- 10 c zucchini, chopped
- 4 c onions, chopped
- 4 green peppers, chopped
- ½ c salt
- 2½ c white vinegar
- 4½ c sugar
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1 t tumeric
- 1 t cornstarch
- 1 t celery seed
- Mix zucchini, onions, and green peppers.
- Add salt and let stand for a few hours.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Heat vinegar, sugar, nutmeg, tumeric, cornstarch, and celery seed.
- Add vegetables and boil for 30 minutes.
- To can: Put in pint sized canning jars. Put jars in water bath and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes and then remove jars.
Cucumbers and Onions
- 4-5 large cucumbers
- 1 onion
- ¾ of a 16 oz. container of sour cream
- 5 T sugar
- 5 T lemon juice
- Peel cucumbers.
- Thinly slice cucumbers and onions, then sprinkle with 1 t salt and let sit for 2 hours.
- Drain, rinse well, and drain again.
- Mix remaining ingredients for dressing and add to cucumbers and onions.